So you know, it’s always a good idea to search for random phrases, because you never know, you might come up with something worthwhile. So I searched for “blue cactus drink” and this came up.
Blue Cactus Margaritas
by Angela Dawn
It’s not technically a margarita. I made this drink up all on my lonesome. It’s great at BBQs or with spicy Mexican food. I’ve been making cactus pear margaritas for a long time, but I added a little blue.
* 1 liter margarita mix
* 2 small prickly pears (otherwise called cactus pears)
* 16 ounces gold tequila
* 5 ounces blue curacao
* 4 fresh limes
* kosher salt or margarita salt
1. To make Prickley Pear Margarita Mix:.
2. In a blender add your bottle (1 liter) of Margarita mix. I usually just cut the cactus pears in half and scoop out the pink flesh. Add the fruit’s flesh to the blender and blend until smooth.
3. Strain mixture through a fine sieve or rice strainer. Press the pulp down to get any remaining liquid out.
4. I usually pour strained mix back into margarita mix bottle and use the little left in the bottom of the container to make my first drink.
5. For each drink:.
6. Fill shaker half full of ice.
7. Add 2 oz tequila, 3/4 oz blue curacao and the juice of half a lime.
8. Shake well and strain into a 12 ounce glass that’s been dipped in margarita salt and packed with ice. Pour Prickly Pear Margarita mix to the top and serve.
9. Garnish with lime.
10. Should make about 8 drinks.
I don’t have all the ingredients right now, so I won’t be able to try this tonight. Maybe tomorrow.