Just in time for christmas dinner, I found this seriously delicious looking cactus salad at myrecipes.com and it only takes 2 nopales!
* 2 medium cactus pads (nopales)
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
* 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
* 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
* 2 medium tomatoes, diced
* 6 cups shredded leaf lettuce
* 6 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco cheese
* 2 1/2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
You’ll have to click through for the instructions. I don’t want to give it all away, you know.
And it’s probably one of those “heart-healthy” meals too, since nopales are supposed to be good for you.
Nopales… contain flavonoids, a type of antioxidant…. (and) can reduce the glycemic index of a meal, and have been used to decrease the level of glucose in diabetics’ blood…. The American Heart Society, for example, is researching the use of nopales to help manage cholesterol levels.